|Dr. Errick L. Greene
I look forward to working with the entire Jackson community on behalf of our students and families. I especially want to thank the Board of Trustees and Interim Superintendent Dr. Freddrick Murray for their leadership and support as I've transitioned into this new role.
One of the things I am most excited about is the opportunity to work with so many great teachers, administrators, and classified staff members. I am confident that the Jackson Public School District has boundless opportunities to provide compelling and rigorous learning experiences for students, and I look forward to celebrating as we see the fruits of those offerings in student achievement. As with any other school district, I know there are programs and practices that we need to protect and nurture, while there are others that will require improvement or to be reconsidered altogether. This is the important and exciting work that we will do together.
Some have asked how I am prioritizing my work in these first few months—essentially looking for a 90- or 100-day plan. Here are my primary areas of focus for the first three months of my superintendency:
- Engage deeply with the Jackson community and District.
- Develop a strategic operating plan.
- Improve customer service.
- Address the issues found in the Mississippi Department of Education Corrective Action Plan.
FIRST: Engage Deeply With the Jackson Community and District
To engage deeply with the Jackson community and District, I will...
- Visit all of our schools (meet with staff, students, parents and become familiar with our neighborhoods);
- Meet with local leaders (including elected officials, community leaders, faith-based leaders and others);
- Develop advisory groups to provide ongoing counsel on various issues;
- Participate in various events to become more familiar with the community; and
- Identify a set of shared beliefs and values.
|Superintendent Dr. Errick L. Greene gives his vision for improving the Jackson Public School District to parent leaders of Area 3 at Murrah High School.
SECOND: Develop a Strategic Operating Plan
To develop an informed strategic operating plan, I will...
- Review the reports from Mississippi Department of Education, Council of the Great City Schools, and the Better Together Commission;
- Review our data and observe in district offices, schools and classrooms;
- Identify a set of key priorities for the next three to five years;
- Utilize multiple modes of communication to ensure two-way dialogue with members of the community;
- Engage intentionally with our many partners to develop a plan for district transformation; and
- Develop a plan for district reorganization that is aligned to the key priorities and strategic operating plan.
THIRD: Improve Customer Service
To identify key areas for improvement in our customer service, I will...
- Listen to the feedback from parents, students, and school based staff;
- Identify quick wins to improve our customers' experiences; and
- Ensure that we live our values by the way that we engage with one another.
FOURTH: Address the issues found in the Mississippi Department of Education Corrective Action Plan
To continue addressing the issues named by MDE in our Corrective Action Plan, I will...
- Provide close supervision of the actions to address the identified standards (including facilities issues in our Bond projects);
- Provide ongoing communication regarding our progress on those standards; and
- Work closely with the MDE team to ensure that our efforts meet the standards and address the needs of our students and families.
As your superintendent, I am committed to promoting academic excellence and enhancing our students' physical, intellectual, and social-emotional growth. I will lead by example with integrity, honesty, and sincerity. I am enthusiastic about this work and expect to learn from each of you. I appreciate the opportunity to lead this district, and I look forward to working with the entire community to ensure that JPS is the fastest improving school district in the country.
Amazing things are destined for Jackson Public Schools. Let's work together to achieve greatness for our children, and for this city.
Dr. Errick L. Greene, Ed.D.